The Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program provides the highest level of training for students wishing to conduct psychological research and/or provide clinical services as a practicing health-service psychologist. Upon graduation with a Ph.D., those completing the program go onto positions in research, industry, administration, and government, and most also obtain licensure for practice as a psychologist. We primarily look for potential graduate students with a passion and curiosity for psychological research, especially students who have developed a skill set that will allow them to act as a "junior" investigator on research projects. We are particularly interested in students with post-bac research experience and who have a well-developed sense of their future research interests. Students can also prepare for graduate work by taking psychological, biological, statistical, or computer science courses to lay the groundwork for clinical research. Although prior clinical experience is not necessary for admission to the program, it can also be a helpful way for an applicant to complement research experience. Upon completion of required coursework, research, and clinical training, our Ph.D. students then go on to complete their clinical requirements with a one-year psychological residency, often at some of the most competitive sites in the country.
For Fall 2023 applicants, GRE scores are optional.
The following faculty will be considering applications for Fall 2023 admission:
|Shireen Rizvi||Jessica Hamilton|
|Vanessa Ball||Teresa Leyro|
Big Questions in Clinical Psychology
- How does anxiety affect health behavior and coping with chronic disease?
- What are the underlying precipitants of suicidal behavior and how can we predict them in real-time?
- How do youth and adolescent responses to emotion contribute to the development of psychopathology?
- What are the most effective and accessible treatments for substance use disorder?
- How can we make psychotherapy more effective and disseminate treatments across the globe?
- Vanessa Bal
- Marsha Bates
- Brian Chu
- Denise Hien
- Anna Konova
- Robert Larue
- Kristen Riley
- Shireen Rizvi
- Marc Steinberg