Below you will find the 2 courses offered within the Accelerated track program.
Click on the Register button to register for specific courses.
The Accelerated Program is only for those participants who have been initiating, teaching and assessing Social-Emotional and Character Development (SECD) program/s successfully in their classroom, counseling groups of after-school programs successfully for 5+ years in a consistent and intentional approach and can document this experience. The Accelerated Program is NOT a fast track to completion.
To be accepted into the Accelerated Program:
- Currently holds OR is enrolled in a College/University OR Associates Degree or higher (60 credits or more).
- Currently employed as someone who provides direct SECD instruction to students.
- Has successfully initiated, taught and assessed Social-Emotional and character development programming in your classroom, counseling sessions or after-school program to students successfully for 5+ years in a consistent, intentional and effective approach and can document this experience.
- Submit a letter on letterhead from a school principal, director or supervisor acknowledging your 5+ years of SECD experience and that you are applying to this Accelerated Program. This is not a letter of personal recommendation.
- Submit a resume/CV which includes yearly SECD teaching experiences including SEL or CE programs and/or skills/virtues for each of the years you have taught SECD.
Documents to be submitted for review prior to acceptance and registration to 401; submit to
You will be notified following a review of your documents if you are eligible to register for 401.
The criteria to enroll in the Acceleratedd Practicum Course (SEL 402) are as follows:
- Above criteria have already been met.
- Successful completion of the Accelerated Course (SEL 401, to be corroborated with the course instructor).
You will be contacted and notified of your eligibility for admission to the Accelerated Program. Following notification, you may register. If you choose to register for 401 or 402 prior to submitting documentation and receiving an email or verbal confirmation of acceptance to either course, you may be deregistered. Notification will occur if this happens.
ACCELERATED PROGRAM COURSES
401 - Accelerated Combined Course (2 CEU’s)
This course combines SEL 101 (Foundations) and 102 (Pedagogy and Practice) into one course. The course has been constructed to take a minimum of 10 hours to complete yielding 2 professional development credit or continuing education unit (CEU). Like the other courses, this course is organized into 10 weeks of activities (8 units) to be completed sequentially. $435.00 Register
402 Accelerated Practicum Course (2 CEU’s)
Having completed the Accelerated combined Foundations, Pedagogy and Practice (SEL 401) course for a Social-Emotional and Character Development Certificate, participants will be given the opportunity to apply their extensive skills in a guided way to an extended case example, allowing a demonstration of mastery of the application of skills to an acual workshop presentation to staff.
Participants will learn how to use the virtual Professional Learning Community as a resource for implementation, as well as how to be a resource to others within the vPLC, particularly those newer to SECD. The Accelerated Practicum provides a format for assembling and submitting a portfolio of representative accomplishment during participants’ years of initiating, implementing and assessing Social-Emotional and Character Development within your classroom, skill and character building groups, and/or after-school programs.
Practicum students will also create/develop 1 or 2 day SECD staff development workshop for staff. Upon the completion of the SEL 401 and 402 courses and the submission of the portfolio of accomplishment, participants will have earned 2 CEU’s and will receive a certificate from the sponsors, Rutgers University and the College of Saint Elizabeth. $450.00 Register