NEXT START DATE FOR 401 - Next Start Date: 9/20/21
DOCUMENTS FOR REVIEW / ACCEPTANCE DEADLINE - 9/1/21
If you are TEACHING or have TAUGHT a Social Emotional Learning OR Character Development program (OR specific skills/virtues) consistently with intention and directly to students of any age for 5+ years then this is YOUR time to shine!!
OR if you have been providing SECD staff development workshops/trainings consistently to staff or adults for 5+ years then this is also YOUR time to shine!
Please read on!
Accelerated Program Overview
The Accelerated Program focuses on SECD instruction and is only for those participants who have been TEACHING Social-Emotional and Character Development (SECD) program(s) successfully in their classroom, counseling groups, or after-school programs successfully for 5+ years in a consistent and intentional approach and can document this experience. The Accelerated Program also focuses on SECD instruction that is provided at staff development workshops/trainings.
The Accelerated Program is NOT a fast track to completion. It is a program that
- Acknowledges the SECD teaching you have been doing with the focus on direct instruction for 5 or more years.
- Will teach you another approach to teaching SECD to students (adding to what you already have been doing)
- Brings your experiences to a level of providing staff/professional development in the field of SECD
Our Accelerated Track courses of study and tuition costs are as follows:
- 401 - Accelerated Combined Course - $435.00
- 402 Accelerated Practicum Course - $420.00
Although SEL 401 and 402 have been developed as fully online courses, they also emphasize a participatory approach, incorporating (SECD) philosophy, activities and strategies into the classroom, counseling, and after-school groups as well as for oneself as a learner. There are unit completion due dates for assignments in order to:
- Move students through each unit and the course together while also providing the flexibility of an online course
- Build and develop an SECD learning community and enhance Live Chat discussions.
All correspondence and discussions will take place online via threaded discussions, comment and drop boxes and email with occasional synchronous discussions (Live Chats). Live Chats are an essential part of our courses. Live Chat dates are listed within the course by the instructor. A headset for Live Chats is required. We recommend a KOSS SB45 Communications Headset or a KOSS CS100 USBn Communications Headset.
Eligibility documents must be submitted for review prior to acceptance:
- Resume/CV specifically showing the followiung:
- your 5+ years of SECD teaching experience OR workshop/training experience
- SECD programs and/or skills/virtues taught to students OR at workshops/trainings.
- the target population; grade, student, staff, parent etc
- how often lessons took place per week OR how often workshops/trainings were held throughout a year.
- the year each were taught OR each year workshops/trainings were facilitated.
- Letter from your school principal on school letterhead acknowledging your 5+ years of consistent and intentional SECD direct instruction to students OR providing consistent and intentional SECD professional development directly to adults (staff/parents).
We are specifically looking for your 5+ years of actual SECD teaching experiences in a consistent and intentional approach OR YOUR experience instructing/facilitating SECD workshops/trainings for 5+ years.
Please be as specific as possible when listing SECD programs taught and/or how you intentionally integrated SECD into academic content
Additional information can be found on our Eligibility page)
Accelerated (Advanced) Track Course Descriptions
401 - Accelerated (Advanced) Combined Course (2 CEU’s)
This course combines SEL 101 (Foundations) and 102 (Pedagogy and Practice) into one course. The course has been constructed to take a minimum of 10 hours to complete yielding 2 professional development credit or continuing education unit (CEU). Like the other courses, this course is organized into 10 weeks of activities (8 units) to be completed sequentially. This course needs a minimum of 5 students to run. Please submit your eligibility documents as soon as possible so that the section can start on time. If the minimum number is not met the start date will be pushed to the next available offering.
Next 401 start date - 9/8/20
Documents due on or before August 31, 2020
402 Accelerated (Advanced) Practicum Course (2 CEU’s)
Having completed the Accelerated combined Foundations, Pedagogy and Practice (SEL 401) course for a Social-Emotional and Character Development Certificate, participants will be given the opportunity to apply their extensive skills in a guided way to an extended case example, allowing a demonstration of mastery of the application of skills to an acual workshop presentation to staff.
Participants will learn how to use the virtual Professional Learning Community as a resource for implementation, as well as how to be a resource to others within the vPLC, particularly those newer to SECD. The Accelerated Practicum provides a format for assembling and submitting a portfolio of representative accomplishment during participants’ years of initiating, implementing and assessing Social-Emotional and Character Development within your classroom, skill and character building groups, and/or after-school programs.
Practicum students will also create/develop 1 or 2 day SECD professional development workshop for staff. Upon the completion of the SEL 401 and 402 courses and the submission of the portfolio of accomplishment, participants will have earned 2 CEU’s and will receive a certificate from the sponsors, Rutgers University and the College of Saint Elizabeth.
Double check to find out if you are eligible for this program and next steps by visiting our Eligibility page.
Who do I contact with a billing, payment or registration question?